Saturday, March 19, 2011

London is Beautiful

Every now and then you have a day that restores your faith that there are good things in this world.  Such days have been hard to come by recently - with a new, looming war in Libya, the terrible loss of life in Japan following the tsunami and the ensuing nuclear threat there that is keeping us all on edge - with all of this weighing on the world's conscience, it's difficult to find any beauty or positivity in anything.

In the face of these global worries it seems trite to even name my own concerns, namely the fact that I only have five days before I leave London for Budapest, and shortly after that for Canada where I'll be running a photography project in Blind River for six weeks for my Masters thesis.  It's been a lot of work to try to plan something like that from so far away, while also working out my ethics approval, finishing up class assignments, and trying to get a handle on my literature review.  To say the least, recent weeks have been slightly stressful!

Which is why this morning has been such a welcome change.  Given that London usually looks like this:


 as soon as I opened the curtains this morning and saw that the sun was actually shining and the sky was actually blue - I knew it would be a good day!


 Even though it's Saturday, Fred had left around 7:30 for class and I couldn't get back to sleep.  So after some internal debate about the coziness of bed versus the virtuousness of morning jogs, I decided to get up and head to Hampstead Heath.  For the first time since moving to this area, I finally managed to jog directly to the park without getting seriously sidetracked by London's sneaky, windy side streets.  Once there, it was obvious that I wasn't the only one in London that wanted to enjoy the sun in the city's greenest space.  The park was alive with kids on scooters and bikes, joggers, families playing tennis, and dogs, dogs, dogs! 

I panted my way up to the top of Parliament Hill, then paused to soak up the sun and congratulate myself on making it all the way to the top of this...gently sloping hill.  An accomplishment nonetheless, for which I was rewarded with this great view of the city, shared with a number of other Londoners:



Breath more or less having been caught, I started to run back down the hill when my iPhone's motivational running soundtrack was interrupted by a call from one of my favourite people - my mum.  She proceeded to tell me all about their upcoming trip to Italy, which sounds like it's going to be great.  It's so awesome to see my parents getting the opportunity to travel around all fancy-free since Mikey (my step-dad) has finally retired this year.  After so many years of hard work, they really deserve it.   After their trip to Italy we'll all be returning to Canada together, which I'm very much looking forward to.  It's been a while since I've breathed the fresh Northern Ontario air! 

While I was talking to my mum, I took this photo of a beautiful willow just coming into leaf.  Ah, spring!


After we hung up, I noticed a sign for the Parliment Hill Farmer's Market.  I had been intending to go to the market near Archway Station on the way home, but thought I might as well check this one out instead while I was there.  I'm glad I did.  These markets really make me feel like I'm part of a community.  And there was a great selection of fresh produce, home-baked bread and pastries, free-range chickens and eggs, and - my favourite - fresh cut flowers.  There's nothing like a vase of tulips or daffodils to raise your spirits!  So I availed myself of some market goods, and went on my way.  Here they are: kale, radishes, spinach, rhubarb (because when life gives you rhubarb you must make rhubarb crisp) and a home-made steak and ale pie, complete with a sweet pan that I can use afterwards to bake my own goods.


Walking home, the sweetness of this day came to a palpable head when I came along this touching tribute to the Japanese people hanging from the flower-laden bow of a cherry tree, which is a beautiful symbol of the Japanese culture:


On one side is the photo of the Japanese military person holding a young baby which has become so iconic of this tragedy.  On the other side is a poem that reads:

If you will let me,
I will wipe
Salt tears from your eyes
With these fresh leaves

-Basho, 17th Century Japanese poet

Now, isn't that beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!